Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Well here I am again. Finally! I have been very negligent in posting on this blog. Time and life just seem to take over. I have a thing for quotes and attaching some sort of graphic to them. Here's one for today:
I am starting out this new year jobless. (well not actually jobless as I am doing some freelancing for a company that takes some major print magazines and makes them interactive online ready.) Once again the prepress house I was working at for the past 3 years 9 months has restructured itself with the intent of outsourcing most of its production.

So, I am experiencing the same angst that millions of other people are experiencing. Its hard for me as I have always worked. In 1997 I took a year off and went back to school to finally finished my degree. Upon completion I was hired by a company as a production artist and worked there for
12 years. When that company closed its office, I was working at another company the very next day, where I remained for the past 3 3/4 years. Now as I mentioned I am doing some freelancing work.
What it's left me with though is the same feelings I think most people have in my situation: feelings of redundancy, insecurity, anxiety, lack of purpose, etc., etc., etc.

Todays job market can be very confusing. There are lists and lists of what you should do, what you should say, how you should act in an interview. Its endless and everyone has something to say regarding the issue of "finding a job." I have never been good at selling myself or putting myself out there. There are so many job listing options out there: Monsters.com, Career Bulders, Talent Zoo, Indeed, Desktop Publishing Job Finders, Beyond,  LinkedIn, and the list goes on. It can be rather mind-boggling. Then, there are those that say online job search sites are relatively useless and few people actually get a job from these sites. Yet, there are lots of companies that only take applications for positions online. Its a conundrum, especially when you are more introverted than extroverted.

Positives are that I have gotten a lot of things done around the house, am spending more time researching information online, cleaning up my files on my computer, updating my programs on my computer, doing miscellaneous tutorials.

No comments: